Saturday, September 4, 2010

Grafting Chinese and Indian

Ok, this is just gonna be a quickie...

A rush of blood came to my head the other day, and I got this idea of making a stir fry style masala.

I'm real proud of this idea,, though it must exist already somewhere in the world where I haven't been yet. The result was mediocre, but the idea is golden, and it can be improved upon.

I used fennel seed, carraway seed, fenugreek ( really just use a pinch of this, çause if  it doesnt boil for a long time its very bitter). A fist full of diced ginger, a fist full of diced garlic, about as much chopped cabbage as you can fit in two hands, and about 2 large carrots, now this is the only fine point I have perfected so far, the carrots. Peel them, and chop first into inch long segments, halve them, and then slice them finely. This concept is a bit hard for me to verbalize right now, but if you meditate on it, I'm sure you'll figure it out. They're the first veg to go into the fry, so they have to be thin slices to get cooked. Carrots can take a long time to cook otherwise. And just  a few pinches of your favorite curry powder, I used packo masala and rajah mild 'n spicy. Garam masala will be excellent, but use it sparingly.

Then theres the soup mix. In South Africa they sell this stuff called soup mix. It's about 60% pearl barley, 20% red split lentils and 20% split peas. This you have to pre-boil, for about half an hour. About one small  cup (150ml) of this stuff should be great.

OK. You start with a some oil in the wok, as much as you feel comfortable with, I reccomend olive oil, or sesame oil,, I used some butter and canola oil but you can do better than that. Add the fennel, caraway, and fenugreek. Clove will go, and I have an idea cardamon and star anise will do wonders. Fry them lightly for about 3 minutes, then go the ginger, fry it, swirl it. Then the garlic, same thing, and at about the same time the curry powder goes. Now add  the carrots. You wanna get them almost cooked. So if you have a wok, you do the shake, or otherwise swirl it around with a wooden spoon. It takes about a minute, if you're using gas that is. Now the cabbage. Just keep swirling and shaking until they change texture SLIGHTLY. You WANT them hard and crunchy (Otherwise it wouldn't be a stir fry , same goes for the carrots). Now add the pre boiled soup mix and stir fry for half a minute.

Now dish it up. I ate it all in one go by myself, but it's enough for 2 civilized people.

Enjoy boys and girls. I'd like to hear comments on how to do it better.

5 comments:

  1. I chose this wall paper because it looks alot like the place where I stay... It's the price I pay for being a renegade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wash and drain the soup mix before you add it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delish. Wanna work on this as soon as my kitchen is set up. To reduce cooking time, you can also soak the grains (soup mix) for at least an hour before cooking.
    Incidentally, (this also pertains to your rice recipe) in the Middle East and India it is not uncommon to soak rice before cooking to reduce the time on the fire. From a biogenic point of view, this can be really excellent, especially if you soak the grains the night before cooking, allow them to start sprouting in the day and cook lightly. This allows the nutrient content to multiply exponentially by sprouting, and lose as little as possible through cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most definitely.. It's only September and it's hot hot hot. If global warming doesn't kill us by the summer, then we should all cut down on our electricity and CO2 emissions.

    ReplyDelete